Sunday, November 29, 2009

Yummy & healthy pancakes

As a family we are trying to minimize our exposure to processed food and HCFS. About the only time we have HFCS is when we are sick or have a headache and will drink pop. I thought I'd share a favorite recipe for homemade and healthy pancakes. Yes, you heard that right, healthy pancakes!

We are big fans of Paul's Grains, a company in Iowa that grows awesome tasting organic grains. Here is my take on their recipe for pancakes:

Mix together:
1 egg, 1/4 oil, 2 1/2 cups milk, 2-4 tbsp. honey or brown sugar (optional), 1 tsp salt, 4 tsp baking powder, 2 tbsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp orange extract, 1 tsp spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, your choice), 2 1/2 Paul's 7-Grain Flour.

Stir & cook over a hot griddle. Serve with fresh fruit. No syrup needed. Its very filling & tasty. The best part of it, is that I don't crash soon after eating them, like I do with store bought pancake mix.

No comments: